My name is Caroline Smith but at Redwood Camp I go by Brave Little Toaster (or BLT for short). I couldn’t be happier to be returning to Mount Hermon as the Director of Children’s Ministries! After spending many summers working with youth up at Ponderosa Lodge and then past few years creating programs in the senior living world I have learned a lot about how different people play, learn, and grow.
I have learned a great deal about simplicity and connection which is why I am so excited to turn my focus to working with kids at Redwood Camp! Our biggest focus at Redwood camp is to communicate to kids that God loves them, that they are special, and have some fun in God’s creation along the way. In all of our programming we point back to these main objectives.
- We focus on simple but important truths that point back to God’s love for each and every one of us.
- We focus relationally by connecting campers with staff members who encourage them individually and find ways to make them feel loved and their time at camp uniquely special to who they are.
- We focus on having fun in God’s creation all week at camp from playing in the redwood forest, leaping into the ocean at beach day, cooking dinner on a creek side campfire, and much more.
As you prepare for camp this summer or are looking for ways to bring camp home with you and your kids in the spirit of Redwood Camp remember that you don’t need to go over the top or over complicate things, there is beauty in simplicity!
- Focus on the simple truth that God loves each and every one of us. Spend time in your favorite Bible passage or remind your kids that God loves them through your actions and words.
- Spend quality time with your kids specific to their individual needs and interests. Show them how uniquely special they are and spend quality time together even in small increments to connect over what makes them special!
Get outside! No matter what age we are, we are never too old to play in God’s creation. Kick off your shoes and get a little messy in nature whether it’s a trip to the beach, forest, local park, or your own backyard, have some fun together!