BLOGGER: JILL OSBORNE
Serving on the Critique Team, March 2016; Teaching an Afternoon Workshop
There’s Never Been a Better Time to Write for Kids!
I stared out at the crowd of a hundred or so kids at VBS.
Should I ask the question or not?
I was afraid, a little, because I’m a writer. But I was curious, a lot, because I’m a writer.
“How many of you like to read?”
To my surprise, three-quarters of the hands shot up. Half of them belonged to the boys.
My fingers fumbled with the zipper on my purse as the young couple in front of me talked about the joys and struggles of raising three girls.
Be bold. Ask them.
“What’s the age of your oldest?”
“Does she like to read?”
Their eyes widened. “She loves it.”
“Then I’d like to give her a gift, if you don’t mind.” I pulled a book out of my purse, signed it, and handed it to them.
“You’re a writer?” They both teared up a little. “Thank you so much. We just visited our daughter at summer camp, and she’s struggling to fit in with girls her age. We know this will encourage her.”
I noticed an alert from a parent on my author Facebook page.
Go ahead. Click on it.
“My OH so picky reader LOVES your books! Thanks for following Jesus.”
There’s never been a better time to write for kids.
“I’ve thought about writing for kids,” you might say. “But… (Fill in your best ‘but’ here.)”
Hmmm. Sounds like you need encouragement. I have some for you.
The Mount Hermon Christian Writer’s Conference in 2016 is shaping up to be one of the best years yet for training, inspiring, and discovering children’s writers!
Check out who’s on this year’s faculty:
- Mona Hodgson (She’s the conference director but has written many books for kids—one that is currently my granddaughter’s favorite)
- Christine Tangvald (A picture book genius and the inventor of enthusiasm)
- Tim Shoemaker (I love his intense Code of Silence series.)
- Nancy Rue (I’ll finally get her to sign all my Faithgirlz books!)
- Crystal Bowman (She’s an expert at loving the littlest readers with her many picture books and Bible stories)
- Me (I’ll be teaching a workshop and hanging out at the critique table. Please come and get a “Hey, you’re a children’s writer!” knuckle bump and some M&Ms.)
- Catherine DeVries (David C. Cook)
- Jesse Florea (Focus on the Family Clubhouse)
- Kristen Gearhart (Keys for Kids)
- Lynn Gilliam (Pockets)
- Linda Howard (Tyndale House)
- Jillian Manning (Zonderkidz/Blink)
- Peggy Schaefer (Worthy Kids/Ideals)
This list is amazing! And it doesn’t even include all the super-talented writers for kids who plan to attend the conference.
I hope you will be one of them.
Why? Because kids really do like to read these days—even the boys. They’re also struggling to grow up godly in a culture that is fighting against them at every turn. Parents are hoping and praying and searching for quality materials for their children to read. And you, my friend, are a writer.
Sounds like the best time ever to write for kids.
See you at Mt. Hermon!